This spring has inspired me to get out of my comfort zone when it comes to makeup, and incorporate some bold, unexpected colors into my makeup routine. It’s time to have a navy moment. Many of my favorite brands have started to come out with lipsticks in colors such as blue and even green! Kat Von D, Too Faced, and ColourPop have all created rich, luxurious shades of blue that look great on the lips, come in shimmers and mattes, and are more wearable than you think. Yes…I said lips.
My navy moment started when I started thinking that I wanted to put deep navy streaks in my hair. This project is still in the works(it might be a different hair color since I keep changing my mind) so be sure to follow me on Snapchat (@sagebeautyblog) for the debut. I have always believed that color evokes energy. Navy can be classic and elegant, but it can also be chic and modern. Put it in a lipstick and you are on a whole other level. And let me share a little secret, yes you can wear darker lip colors in the spring and summer. Normally this time of year many of us are inclined to stick with pink and peach lip colors. Darker colors are not just for fall, and with soft eye makeup and dramatic lashes you can easily transition your deeper lip colors into the warmer months. If you have a medium to dark skintone, a navy lipstick is the new alternative to a classic red or a plum.
In the picture below I’m wearing Kat Von D’s Studded Kiss lipstick in Poe. It’s an opaque navy blue with a shimmery finish. I used a dark plum liner for definition, lightly smudged the line, then applied Poe.
Here’s how we get the look.
- Start with freshly exfoliated lips and add a hydrating lip balm. I currently love the Tarte Maracuja Lip Exfoliant and the Fresh SPF 15 Sugar Lip Balm as my daily lip treatment combination.
- Don’t skip the foundation and concealer! A flawless complexion is key to pulling off this look so the focus is on your lips.
- Be sure to use a lip liner for definition and longer wear. I used Vino by MAC cosmetics for this look, but if you have a dark brown that could work but apply lightly and blend into the lip line.
- I kept my eye makeup minimal, but created a thicker and more dramatic cat-eye.
- I used a soft, tawny blush on the cheeks and bronzer to warm my complexion and balance the look so it’s more modern and less goth.
I wore this look in the daytime and got a lot of compliments, and it’s also fun for a night out. If you recreate this look I would love to see your creations, so be sure to tag me on Instagram (@sagebeautyblog)!!
love the lip color